We would like to start this short presentation by expressing again
our admiration and gratitude to all the Romanians who preceded
us and, in spite of great difficulties inherent to any immigration,
were able to establish these wonderful churches, Romanian
organizations, Romanian festivals and many others which made
the Romanian immigration more palatable and maintained our
spirit and pride.
The “Buna Vestire” parish was established on September 2,
1936 when its founding charter was released according to the
decision of the founding members: Dan Cornila, the first
President, Miron Constantin, the first cantor, Ion Lup, Pascu
Margineanu, Petru Antinie, Gheorghe Cabash, Emil Ramba,
Nicolae Balindu, Iacob N Barbu and Nicolae Botoman.
The first parish Priest was Archimandrite Ioachim Popescu.
Since its beginnings till now, the church had three (3) different
locations: first, at 5603 Detroit Ave, between September 1936 and
July 1938, where the church functioned on the first floor and the
priest‘s loft was on the second floor. Then, at 1791-1793 W 57th
St between 1938 and 1969 where an old Jewish Temple was
bought and remodeled as an Orthodox church. Finally, the
property was sold to the City of Cleveland in 1969 and a new
church (formerly Greek) was bought at 3300 Wooster Rd in Rocky
River (a Cleveland suburb) where it continues to reside. This third
stage was accomplished under the pastoral care and guidance
of Father Iconom Stavrofor Traian Radu.
For the future, the plan is to build a new church of a greater
architectural complexity on six (6) acres of land already bought in
Olmsted Township (a Cleveland suburb).
Some important details: the first fifteen (15) years since its
inception, the church functioned independently. In 1951 the
church came under the canonical jurisdiction of Bishop Andrei
Moldovan and today is under Archbishop Nicolae of USA and
The “Ladies Auxiliary” was established in 1936 in order to give
the parish ladies a clear voice in the administration. Also, the first
church choir was established around the same date. In 1946 the
church had a “Youth Club” and in 1947 the “Ladies Welfare
Organization” was founded with the express scope of doing
Today, we still have the ladies and youth organizations together
with a Sunday school and a folkloric dances group.
In 1969 the church was elevated to the rank of Cathedral and in
1991 became the residence of Ohio and Central USA Deanery.
The Very Reverend Ion Gherman is the Dean.
During all these years the parish hosted at least four (4) Orthodox
Church Congresses and several Romanian festivals.
Some extraordinary personalities conducted services or shared
wisdom at one time or another at “Buna Vestire”: the
Archimandrite Victorin (who later became Archbishop),
Bartolomeu Anania, admired teologean and writer who now is
Archbishop of Cluj, Nicolae Mladin theology professor and later
Metropolitan of Ardeal, Antonie Plamadeala also an admired
teologian and writer and present Metropolitan of Ardeal,
professor, Dr. Aurel Jivi from the department of Universal Church
History at the Theological University Sibiu, professor Dr. Mircea
Pacurariu the Dean of the same University and many others.
The “Buna Vestire “ Cathedral considers its mission to worship
GOD according to the Orthodox Faith as established by the
original orthodox canon, to function inside the canonically
established orthodox hierarchy and to believe deeply in the
redemption of the soul according to the orthodox faith.